- Eugenio Diaz-Bonilla, Head, Latin American and Caribbean Program , IFPRI
- Astrid Jakobs de Padua, Minister Counselor, Food and Agriculture, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany--Washington
- David Laborde Debucquet, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Agustín Tejeda Rodriguez, Chief Economist, Buenos Aires Grain Exchange
- Maximo Torero, Executive Director for Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay, World Bank Group
- Valeria Pineiro, Senior Research Coordinator, IFPRI
What should we expect from Argentina’s G20 presidency? This roundtable event will highlight the challenges and expectations for 2018, focusing on trade, food security, and sustainable agriculture. Participants will look at the new presidency’s priorities, the outcomes of the Think20 (T20) inception workshop, and the lessons learned from the German presidency.
Argentine president Mauricio Macri has said that his country will place development, fairness, and sustainability at the forefront of the G20 agenda. As reflected in this year’s theme, “Building Consensus for Fair and Sustainable Development,” Argentina’s presidency is aiming to build consensus among the world’s major powers for fair and sustainable development to help generate equal opportunities for all people and advance efforts to eradicate poverty.
To that end, the T20 task force on food security and sustainable agriculture is working to identify themes and ideas that could improve sustainable food production systems and enhance food security and nutrition. The task force is also investigating which agricultural practices best support sustainable management of natural resources.